Dreams come true. I love to just sit back, smile, and say a little prayer of gratitude as I realize my dreams are coming true every day. When I was little I dreamed I would have a winter wedding--snowy day with my dress just as bright as the snow, honeymoon in a small, cozy cottage, deep fluffy snow, lots of furry winter clothes, minty hot chocolate, cuddling by the fire, frightful weather outside but lots of love and joy inside. Well, when your wedding is in the middle of June in Salt Lake City those things just don't happen!

But now, I have it all (and more than I could have even dreamed up way back when!) Small, cozy cottage. (definitely have that!) Snow. (tons. check.) Furry winter clothing. (more than the small, cozy cottage can hold!) Freezing temperatures. (uh. ch- ch- che- check.) Hot chocolate (mmm...every day w/candy canes.) Welcoming flame in the fireplace. (Propane counts. check.) Love and joy inside. (CHECK!)

Our home in New England has freezing temperatures and a good snow cover 5 or 6 months out of the year. Let's see, so far that gives me about 5 solid years of freezing temps, snow cover, and hot cocoa -- that's a lot more than the 2 or 3 days I may have gotten on our honeymoon--I truly couldn't ask for more. Truly.

We live by our little living room stove from about November to May. The kids get out of the shower and rush into the living room to get dressed. We lay out the clothes the night before right by the fire so they will be cozy to climb into. We play all our games on the floor right in front of the flame where it's so warm. We set up a little table to eat dinner by the fire. We read, play and talk--all by the fire. It's the only warm place in the house and it keeps us all together in the morning, afternoon, and evening! I miss snuggling by the fire when summertime arrives! I never could have imagined how much time I would spend huddled by the fire with my little family.

And the furry, warm clothes. Well, Sarah gets the furry stuff. The rest of us just have enough gear to survive another ice age. Every morning I load up back packs with snow pants, gloves, boots, scarves, and hats (and a thermos of hot soup!). Anything above 12 degrees is a good recess time. Everyday afternoon we unload the wet snow pants, gloves, boots, scarves, and hats and hang them by the fire with our coats. Our "get ready" time is cut in half when summer comes. :)
It just doesn't get any better than this! Even a little backyard sledding track....
10 comments:
I miss you guys. A lot. Not the weather! *wry smile* But all of you. And I absolutely love that picture of Jason holding Sarah at the top of the post. My heart just sorta...melted. *hugs* to you all. Much love.
Isn't it great to realize you have everything you've always wanted?
I love this post. Is sounds like you know how to handle all of the snow and ice storms that have been happening out there lately. There is nothing better than the combination of a warm fire, hot chocolate, and the ones you love.
Power to you for loving the snow! Hot chocolate is great though. I need sun! How fun, a sledding hill in the backyard.
Oh, did you still want to order the book?
Oh, hot chocolate by the fire. One of the best things about snowy, cold weather. Dreams do come true, and yours aren't far behind. Finally there is light at the end of the tunnel. The pictures of the kids are great. I remember the sledding hill and playing in the snow. Shoveling isn't much fun, but Tyler looks like he's having a good time. Wish we could be there to snuggle by the fire and share a cup of hot chocolate.
I had a saying with an old friend of mine, "these are the good old days" - I think that about sums it up. I am glad that you are so happy - you deserve it all.
o.k. steph, what a great post, so well put. it makes me want to be there w/you guys sitting close to the fire and drinking mint hot chocolate. :)
You are my favorite optimist! That sledding track looks like so much fun!(As long as they miss that big tree!)
I LOVE that picture of Sarah on the couch. She seriously gets cuter every day! We need to see you guys so we can squeeze those cheeks in person!
We miss you!
cutest kids! I know that post about NH. I was feeling nostalgic I guess~ I kept writing such negative things and had to keep stopping myself thinking okay, I gotta write some good stuff too! The good things were definitely that you guys were there!
I am so happy you found us! I need you to send me your email, we have a lot of catching up to do! my email is jasoncgriffin@hotmail.com. Tell your husband I said hi, I love that guy!
Post a Comment