Sunday, November 1, 2009

Ghost of Halloween Past

In the Philippines it isn't Halloween. It's All Saints Day where families gather to pay tribute to their ancestors. People make tons of food, play games, lights candles, and generally hang out--ALL AT THE LOCAL CEMETERY. Missionaries serving in the Philippines use the next weeks' service projects to clean up after the blessed event. (HUGE MESS!) It's pretty cool to witness and actually a lot of fun to clean up! Sometimes graves are emptied and it was always interesting to examine the remains. We were obviously proud of this skull collection! I'm not sure I'd find this as fun as I did 13 years ago, but here's a picture from our All Saints' Day Clean-up 1996.

Jason's the guy on the top in the white hat and I'm on the bottom row second from the left. Good times!

Time goes by so quickly--now it's Halloween 2009. And even though things are still pretty crazy, life is good. Very good. All our cute kids in their Halloween duds.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! (And All Saints Day!)

7 comments:

Kemp Family said...

Great Halloween costumes. The kids look great. You're always so clever putting together their costumes. I remember the picture from All Saints Day. (WOW, it's been 13 years) Looks like the kids did alright with the trick-or-treating.

wendy said...

Steph- are those real skulls? That's sick! I can't believe they made the missionaries clean that up.

Yael said...

Um...I'm a bit confused - what was Jordan for Halloween?

kim said...

o.k., cannot even believe it's been 13 years!! what a fun blast from the past to see your mission pics and to see you guys and your cute family now! and love the halloween costumes, they all look so cute!

Sarah said...

Your kids are always adorable, but especially in cute costumes! Yeah, that skull pic is slightly disturbing, only because it really illustrates what was going on that day.. good thing they kept you all stocked up on rubber gloves and purell, right?! ;)

Jaime said...

So cute Steph! Your week with gparents looked amazing! What luck! I wish we could have seen you but i know how crazy short travels can be! Glad you got to come this way anyways!

Jaime said...

So funny to see pics of you and Jason on the mish! Love the costumes!